The offer has already expired for the Qatar national team hosting the World Cup

DOHA, Qatar – The show is already over for the Qatar national team who were knocked out of the World Cup finals on Friday less than a week after opening the tournament and launching the first edition of soccer’s biggest event in the Middle East.

Qatar lost 3-1 to Senegal to achieve its second consecutive defeat in the World Cup finals, and its exit was confirmed a few hours later, when the Netherlands and Ecuador drew 1-1 in the other first group match.

Having become the fastest host team to leave the tournament in the 92-year history of the World Cup, Qatar cannot qualify for the last 16 no matter what happens in their final match against the Netherlands.

South Africa were the only other team to fail to qualify for the group stage in 2010 – but at least they managed a win and a draw.

“If you expect us to go far in this tournament, it will be disappointing,” Qatar coach Felix Sanchez said before his team’s official exit. “Our goal was to be competitive.”

The writing was on the wall from the start for Qatar. The team may be the 2019 Asian champions, but looked nervous as they ventured out to a 2-0 loss to Ecuador last weekend in a row after the glamorous opening ceremony the wealthy Gulf emirate threw to showcase it to the world.

Qatar’s performance on Friday was little, but not much better for a team that plays all in the domestic league and is missing the quality of top talent found in almost every World Cup team now.

Qatar scored at least this time, with a second-half header by substitute Mohamed Muntari, a Ghanaian-born striker who is one of many strikers born outside Qatar but brought in to boost their World Cup chances. With the score at 2-1, Qatar threatened to come back against the African champions for just six minutes before Bamba Dieng struck back to score Senegal’s third goal and restore a two-goal deficit.

Senegal got their campaign back on track after losing their opening match to the Netherlands. Coach Aliou Cisse was also pleased that three strikers, Boulay Dia, Famara Didiu and Dieng, scored because Senegal has its own challenge for this World Cup: filling the hole left by Sadio Mane’s pre-tournament injury.

Cisse had instructed his remaining attackers to step up before facing the host at Doha’s Al Thumama Stadium. They replied.

“Yes, we understood the message loud and clear,” said Zia. “Efficiency, efficiency. You need to get ahead and you need to score.”

Qatar had not qualified for the World Cup before FIFA’s controversial decision in 2010 to award it the tournament. That gave her team automatic entry. But even though the oil and gas rich country spent about $220 billion of its vast fortunes on building stadiums, roads and even a new city for the World Cup, it could not put together a solid defense for the team.

Qatar retreated in front of Senegal after an amateurish mistake by central defender Boualem Khoukhi, who tried to lay off under any pressure, did not connect properly and fell on his ass. The ball dribbled away from Khoukhi and Diaa fired it in to score his first World Cup goal.

Didhieu made it 2-0 early in the second half with a header from a corner kick while two Qatar defenders failed to stop him.

Qatar got a stroke of luck when they were denied a penalty and the chance to advance before Dia’s goal. Akram Afif, born in Doha, was sent off by Ismail Sarr, but referee Antonio Mateu of Spain did not award a penalty even though replays indicated that contact had been made.

“We have to forget about it today, go ahead and play against Holland,” Sanchez said.

Leave a Reply

%d bloggers like this: